Friday, June 4, 2010

a 'little' rant

This site doesn't, but most AB-related sites feature somewhere prominent a big ol' disclaimer stating that adult baby stuff does not involve real children! (well, except for the fact that we're all somebody's child, I guess *fnar fnar*)

I kind of understand the need to do this sometimes, as I guess that an ignorant Googler might accidentally wander onto a site that mentions both diapers-and-pacifiers and sexual play and might, in a moment of panic, grasp the wrong end of the proverbial.

Still, people do worry a great deal about any potential links between the fetishisation of adult babies and the sexualisation of real children. I remember reading about Baby Ella, who lost her job as a teacher after talking about her AB kink on television. Now, to me, firing someone because of their actually-really-very-harmless-and-don't-ever-escape-the-bedroom kinks really is akin to firing someone because of their sexuality. Despite what the pearl-clutchers might say, kids aren't actually in danger from simply being around people with kinks, especially if that person isn't exactly in their kink persona 24/7. I mean, we have lives people, come on; we don't live every minute like we're in the Folsom Street fair.

So yes, I glibly say that adult-baby-play has as much to do with real children as ponyplay has to do with real ponies or, hell, any kind of sexual dominance/submission has to do with actual slavery! But really, that would only be a part of the issue, as with AB stuff it's a bit more complicated.

When it comes to bringing AB stuff into a relationship with another person, it can often seem a bit freakish and weird because, while they probably don't think that acting like a baby makes you want to go out and grope one, they probably do realise that you were - believe it or not - once a real baby yourself, and playing with this kink might in fact be a) a bit taboo and b) possibly bringing to the forefront some sort of childhood trauma, and yes, that can prove a worry.

To be honest though, I'm not really in the mood right now for a response other than "fuck it." Yes AB stuff might be bringing to the forefront some sort of repressed trauma, but fuck it, so might a handful of other kinks. Yes I like AB stuff but fuck it, no it doesn't affect my attitude towards kids now or to any kids I myself might even potentially have in the future.

I'm not trying to write off thinking and talking about these things. Hell, I'm all about opening dialogues and asking "why does this weird you out" equally as often as "why am I even into this?" But still, sometimes I'll be reminded of people like Baby Ella and the kneejerk "perverts equal paedophiles" reaction that some people have, and it just makes me want to scream "fuck it, just accept that people have kinks, ok?"

No comments:

Post a Comment